Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tri Tri again..8.6.08

Finally a day that I feel I can stop and breathe.It has been this last month in particular. Honestly, that is how I like it but quickly approaching are the new goals I have set forth. More triathlons!Yay!

Last weekend brought me a new experience in the triathlon world. I was a volunteer at an event in the Broadlands, part of the Infinitive Championship Series. It was super exciting to be behind the scenes...which is where I would rather spend my time any day. Besides the 4:45am wake up call that it required, the event was a blast. I can't get enough of the production behind events like this. And when I do get bored I choose to be an athlete participating in the event instead!

I have to say the "thanks" recieved from most athletes in attendance felt good. I was there to help with anything they needed, unless it was really important and then I would just send them to Kathleen, the "in charge" lady who recruited me from behind the counters of my day job.

I got to see first hand how a pool swim was conducted in the first leg of the race. In fact I was the person sending the swimmers in the pool every 10 seconds. Apparently 10 seconds apart is a lifetime! I thought that was rather quick but I guess passing people IS an option in the pool. Who knew? I've read about how to be passed, perhaps I should read further to learn how to be the person passing people! In due time I am sure.

Did I mention when I woke up for the event the early morning sky was a blaze with lightning? It was also the kind of wet weather that puts a damper on things but isn't enough of a nuisance to keep you from doing what you need to do. Well that weather waxed and wained all day, kind of made the race a little more interesting. Luckily it stopped in time to keep the swim leg in the race, had it not stopped lightning the race would have been turned into a duathlon. Ewww, it's bad enough that I find myself involved in events that ask you to run more than oh say... from first base to third base. (Which is much more my speed.) However if any race I enter turns into a duathlon..count me OUT! NO thank you.Running twice?Absolutely not in my world.

Well, maybe if I keep at it and find a way to actually start getting some oxygen into my lungs.Maybe then I will enjoy a run or two. Until then I won't even think about it.

One event I plan to do in September, my super cheerleader aunt is doing the duathlon. God love her.I think she is crazy and she looks at me thinking I am off my rocker too! The beauty of being a triathlete? Even seasoned runners or swimmers or cyclists think we are crazy for attempting all three in one event.

So let me jump back to the days event for a bit...After the pool and some minor duties I was in charge of post race set up and up keep.Meaning all the supplies for the athletes were to be found under my tent. I set out the spread and tried to congratulate as many athletes as I could. Part of me wished I was among them, part of me was thrilled that I had a tent to stand under as the rain came instead.

Either way I think I am starting to fall in love with triathlons. I love the sound of "triathlete", i love the sights of running, cycling and swimming past previous stopping points in my journey. I love the feel of a fit body that belongs to me! I love the community of fellow triathletes. I love the search for new gear.I love the quest to become better and I love the GIMOUNDUS goal at the end of the quest being a freaking IRONMAN. I say I don't want to do one now but I know if I get to Olympic Distance that I will have it in me. I just know it.



There is so much to do still. I have a road bike to find. I have distances to conquer. I have little nuances to learn. Luckily I have an unquenchable thirst for more! SO stay tuned as I learn the ropes of triathloning and all there is to come with it!


**Update** I wrote this post last week and was unable to find the time to edit it so I left it as a draft. Briefly before and since then I have been continuing to push myself and I have been running over 3 miles 3-5 times a week! How awesome is that? I am still convinced I have exercised enduced asthma but as I progress on the bike and in the pool as well, I think I can overcome some of my breathing issues on my own. We shall see!
Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write It! Shout It! Let me hear all about it!